Friday February 14th: [Nellie] has approx. 40 follicles with her top 5 now measuring 12-24mm. Her estradiol is 1594 which is good. [Nellie] will be seen again tomorrow so [we] will update you then.
I find it frustrating that, in spite of having told our nurse that we never did IVF nor have a medical background and therefore don’t know how to interpret the data, she won’t take an extra minute to write her interpretation.
Ideally, we would like something along the lines of: We will know more when she comes in tomorrow, but right now my best guess is that retrieval will be between Sunday – Wednesday.
But instead I find that I have to write an email s-p-e-l-l-i-n-g o-u-t what I need.
Thanks for the update.
Are we being paranoid, or is this cycle not going so well? Because 12-24mm seems like a large range for 5 follicles; and if the other 35 are under 12mm, will they catch up? Or will you sacrifice the larger follicle/s?
DH and I never did IVF, so don’t know how to interpret the data. But we are primed for bad news after three devastating medical diagnoses last year, so at this point we would appreciate either some reassurance or a candid opinion on what these numbers mean. Right now we are imagining the worst…
And despite spelling out what we need, we still have no reassuring update. After this afternoon’s appointment, we have been told that Nellie still has 40+ follicles (no size range given) and her estrogen looks good. She will continue meds and will be seen again Monday, when we get yet another update.
I guess nurses don’t have the authority to offer their interpretation? So much for a relaxing weekend…
I’m living in fear of our cycle being cancelled. The only thing worse than that, though, would be going ahead with a cycle that didn’t pan out. In that scenario, we will have spent $37-43,000 on fuck all except blood, sweat, and tears, and a whole load more heartache. If the cycle gets cancelled, we will have lost thousands of dollars, but not the whole amount, and we will probably be delayed for a few months so Nellie’s body can recover.
I think part of the problem is that our nurse made the mistake of telling us that Nellie typically takes only 10 days to stim. Today is day 16, and that feels scary. And given that this is Nellie’s 8th cycle, we wonder if her body has developed a tolerance to the drugs. It seems like her top five follicles are racing ahead, but the others are a bit sleepy.
I have a feeling Monday is the day we find out what happens: a cancelled cycle, or sacrifice the top five follies, or a new retrieval window.
But looking at my calendar, I suddenly have a feeling that if our retrieval is this week then it will happen on Thursday. Because that way the transfer will happen on the 26th. My sad anniversary, the day of that first fateful ultrasound. The final anniversary. I don’t know if the idea of having a transfer that day is horrifying or comforting. I consider myself a spiritual atheist and find myself confused. Is that an unlucky date to have a transfer? Or could I see it as my Bean walking alongside me?